Thank God it's over

The Ottawa Senators just lost in overtime to the Pittsburgh Penguins, who have one their playoff series. Basically, this means nothing in the grand scope of things. To me, it means I don't have to watch anymore hockey this year. The weather's nice, there are things to do, and I don't have to get sidetracked by some stupid sport. Sidetracked, frustrated, annoyed...pick one or more.

I know the NHL wants, and needs, to have two American teams in the Stanley Cup finals - for the simple reason that the US is the larger market and, from a business perspective, it makes more sense to feature two teams that could potentially interest a greater number of fans. But I doubt this theory, I truly do. Most fans are like me...we watch one, maybe two, teams and that's it. If they aren't playing, we don't watch. Now, given the simple fact that hockey is LIGHT YEARS more popular in Canada than in the US, wouldn't you think it makes more sense to have two Canadian teams? I think that...but it will never happen. Goals being called back, infractions not being called, all ensure that Sid the Kid makes it through so the slack-jawed morons who know little of hockey, but get all excited over seeing a "celebrity", will buy tickets or tune in.

Oh well, over the past few years, I have drifted away from giving a rat's ass about sports in general.

Comments

Popular Posts